Nov. 9 2016
Biometric Finger Scanning: Myths and Facts
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the system store an image of my fingerprint?
No, only an encrypted, digital representation of the specific points of the fingerprint is stored, not the image, which is discarded after the feature extraction. The finger-scan cannot be turned back into a fingerprint.
2. What are the advantages of identification?
The biggest advantage is that the students will no longer need to carry a card or remember a number that can be forgotten, stolen, lost or easily used by another student.
3. Will this system be in place in all schools at the beginning of the new school year?
Ten schools piloted the finger scanning process in May 2009 with the remaining school sites phased in during the fall semester.
4. How often will the scanner be cleaned? Doesn’t this increase the risk of spreading disease?
The cafeteria staff will keep wipes at the counter to clean the scanners. The scanner will be cleaned between each lunch period, which is much even more
sanitary than any door knob, desk, water cooler, restroom facilities, etc.
5. What is the difference between finger-scan biometrics and automated fingerprint identification systems (AFIS)?
Biometric finger scan systems are designed to identify persons who want to be identified in order to access a personal account such as a meal account. AFIS is designed to identify persons who are trying to hide their identity.
6. Will this system create problems for students with special needs or an injured finger?
Because EBR utilizes student name lookup as an alternative to the finger scan, students with special needs or finger injuries will have no problem accessing their lunch account.
communication Dec. 15 2021
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System has partnered with the Louisiana Leadership Institute for an exciting opportunity for students interested in music programming. EBR middle and high school students are encouraged to consider joining the LLI Band. Prior music exp...Read more
communication Dec. 14 2021
Arizona State University Prep Digital will host a virtual town hall to provide students and families with details on the education process and how ASU Prep Digital will support EBR Virtual Academy. The session will be held Friday, December 17, 2021, at noon and 5:30 pm....Read more