What exactly is a Paraprofessional?
Paraprofessionals are K-12 school employees who provide one-on-one tutoring for students, assist with classroom management (e.g., organizing instructional or other materials), provide instructional assistance in a computer laboratory, conduct parental involvement activities, provide support in a library or media center, act as a translator, or provide instructional support services under the direct supervision of a teacher.
Federal legislation requires paraprofessionals that are serving in an instructional capacity to meet the definition of Highly Qualified.
AM I HIGHLY-QUALIFIED TO BE A PARAPROFESSIONAL?
Test Exemption Guidelines – Louisiana’s Highly Qualified Definition for Paraprofessionals
If you do not meet the above test exemption guidelines, you are required to take the ETS Para-Pro Assessment. Please find more information below.
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System is proud to be a participating test center for the ParaPro Assessment, a nationally required proficiency examination for Paraprofessionals.
Registration and Testing Information:
- Please use the following link to register for the EBRPSS Paraprofessional test:
- EBRPSS Applicants: As of June 2021, the EBRPSS Paraprofessional Test is free to all participants that have an active EBRPSS application on file in our Frontline Education Recruit and Hire System and the application reflects that they are seeking employment in the East Baton Rouge Parish School System for the current school year.
Non-EBRPSS Applicants: A non-refundable fee of $55.00 is required in money order form to register for this test. The $55.00 money order should be made payable to the East Baton Rouge Parish School System and must be paid on the day of the test.
- The Paraprofessional Test, offered under the auspices of the Educational Testing Services (ETS), is administered at the Professional Development Center located at 3000 N. Sherwood Forest Dr., Baton Rouge, LA 70814. The test will begin promptly at 10:00 am.
- Masks or face coverings are required.
- Please bring a valid driver’s license or picture identification upon entry.
- Cellular telephones, calculators, smart watches, and other electronic devices are to be kept in your car.
- You will receive your unofficial PRAXIS test score at the conclusion of taking your test.
- 2021-2022 Parapro Test Dates
Apply to become a Paraprofessional
- Click HERE to begin or revisit your application for EBRPSS.
- You will need the following information to complete the application:
- Colleges & Universities attended, graduation date, degree earned and major
- To/From dates of paraprofessional and non-paraprofessional experience, name of organization, supervisor’s name, address & phone number.
- Two professional references including name, title, organization, work phone, home phone and address if available
- Once you have submitted the application you will receive the message “Your application has been successfully submitted to East Baton Rouge Parish School System.”
- Once you have completed the online application, please contact Eliza Jacques @225-922-5658 to submit the following documentation:
- College Transcripts
- Praxis Paraprofessional Scores
- A copy of your degree
- Upon receipt of the required documents and verification of your highly qualified status, you will be considered for a paraprofessional position for the current or upcoming semester.
Thank you for your interest in the East Baton Rouge Parish School System.